Gown Tips for Different Body Shapes
Wedding gown shopping can be overwhelming. But knowing basic dress silhouettes and body types and also understanding how they flatter your figure will help.
Apple shaped brides usually have broader shoulders, fuller bust, more slender thighs and bottom and a less defined waist. The bulk of their shape is concentrated at the torso.
- A-Line shapes that cinches in at the smallest point on the waistline, then flares out into a gradual A shape.
- Drop Waist Styles that help create more definition to the waist
Trumpet & Mermaid: they emphasize the area where your body is widest and flare out at the legs and the knees, where you are most slender.
Pear shaped brides have larger hips, thighs and bottoms, but their upper body is usually quite petite.
- A-Line shapes that cinches in at the smallest point on the waistline, then flares out into a gradual A shape. The flare helps to hide the bottom
- Ball Gowns
- Empire Gowns
- Can choose details that add width to the shoulders, e.g. off shoulder, sleeves etc to balance out the bottom.
- Trumpet & Mermaid: As they cling tight to your body shape and only flare out at the knees.
- Mermaid and Trumpet shapes might end up emphasizing your hips more than other areas.
- Sheath or Column Dresses as the silhouette will make you look unbalanced.
Pear shaped brides have shoulders and hips that are about the same width and little waist definition.
- Go for gowns with added volume and details at both the chest and hips to help create the illusion of an hourglass silhouette.
- Empire: The attention to the waist will showcase the smallest part of your torso.
- A-Line / Ball gowns
- Try a beaded detail or belt around the natural waistline to create more definition
- Sheath gowns that might make you look boxy
Brides with an hourglass figure have a bust and hip that has the same or almost the same measurement, with a waist that is smaller.
- Trumpet or Mermaid gowns if you want to highlight your curves
- Ball-gown or A-Line if you want to downplay your hips
Dresses with too many rufffles and tiers