Solemnisation Fun Facts
Here are some fun facts that you might not know about Solemnisation.
1. Solemnisation can be conducted in a ship or aircraft. However, it is your responsibility to ensure, with documentary proof, that the ship or aircraft is not foreign-owned/registered. If it is, it is regarded as foreign territory and the marriage cannot be solemnised overseas.
2. The 2 witnesses for solemnisation can be foreigners or friends as long as they are above 21 years old.
3. You can only bring up to 20 guests for the solemnisation ceremony if it is held at the ROM.
4. You're not able to invite a solemnizer to solemnize your marriage overseas.
5. A fee is not required for the solemnizer. Licensed Solemnizers are volunteers and provide solemnization services as part of their contribution to the community. They should not expect a fee for the service. The couple may, as a goodwill gesture, give the solemnizers a token of appreciation. This is entirely up to the couple.
6. The law only provides for filing a notice of marriage up to 3 months in advance.
7. You can marry in prison / hospital, however, you must consult and make arrangements with the prison / hospital authorities.